This conviction has united L'Oréal and UNESCO since 1998, when they joined forces to promote women in scientific research by creating the
"For Women in Science" Partnership. This unique partnership has developed into an ambitious programme:
For the first time in 2009 the For Women in Science Programme is launching of the L’Oréal-UNESCO Regional fellowships "For Women in Science"
in Sub-Sahara Africa to assist women scientists in Sub-Saharan to realize important scientific research in all fields of science, engineering
and technology. This fellowship is open to all women citizens and permanent residents from Sub-Saharan African countries.
A. About the Fellowships:
B. Application Procedure.
- Fellowships will be awarded to women scientists in Sub-Saharan African to realize important scientific research in all fields of science, engineering and technology.
- Fellowships will be awarded for PhD research projects that will result in a Doctorate degree
- The research is to be conducted in any country in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Fellowships up to the maximum value of US$20,000 will be awarded.
- The age limits for the candidate is 40 years
- The selected beneficiaries will be awarded their fellowships at a public ceremony.
C. Notification of the Fellows
- 1. Applications must be submitted on the official application forms available from African Network of Scientific and
Technological Institutions (ANSTI) based at the UNESCO Regional Office for Science and Technology in Nairobi, Kenya or downloaded
from the ANSTI website www.ansti.org
- 2. The following information and documents must be included in the application:
- The official application form
- Curriculum vitae, mentioning the applicants most important scientific publications
- Certified copies of degrees or diplomas
- Detailed description, maximum of five pages, of the research proposal (including budget)
- Scientific supervisor’s recommendation or recommendation by the head of the scientific institution where the project will be realized
- 3. Each application shall be signed by the Dean/Head of the unit in which the candidate will realize the research work
- 4. Copies of any documents (including scientific publications) that will assist the Fellows’ application may be submitted.
- 5. Applications shall be
submitted before 31 December 2010 to
Africa Network of Scientific and Technological Institutions (ANSTI)
P.O Box 30592, 00100 GPO,
Nairobi, Kenya or
- 6. Incomplete or time barred applications shall not be considered.
D. Conditions of the fellowships
- Fellowship beneficiaries, as well as their scientific supervisors will be notified by mail and email.
- The list of Fellowship beneficiaries shall be announced in the regional media by L’OREAL.
- All fellows will be invited to an award ceremony
- The objective of the fellowships is to help financially the fellows to realize promising scientific research to obtain a PhD degree.
- The beneficiaries agree to include mention of the Fellowship in any publications resulting from the research
- The fellowships will be paid to the beneficiaries in one installment after the fellowships official ceremony and signing the preliminary contract with L’OREAL Foundation
- The fellows agree to be photographed, filmed and interviewed by the media
- The fellows acknowledge that they will be photographed, filmed and interviewed by UNESCO and L’OREAL for purpose linked to communicating the “FOR WOMEN IN SCIENCE” program and these photos, videos and texts will be used in publications and audiovisual means including but not limited to written press, television, internet, photographs and brochures including distribution to the media worldwide.
- The Fellows expressly authorize UNESCO and L’OREAL to produce, represent and use their image, name, distinctions and titles worldwide for unlimited duration. Such authorization shall strictly be limited to non-commercial uses and be directly related to the UNESCO-L’OREAL program for Women in Science.
- The Fellow shall notify the President of the Jury in case of: change of place of employment or research or resignation from the scientific project. After the reception of the notification the Jury decides if changes are allowed.
How to apply